News

VFCC Renames Chapel to Honor Founders

by Office of Marketing | October 07, 2009
During Homecoming on October 23, 2009, the Main Chapel at VFCC was dedicated as the J. Roswell and Alice Reynolds Flower Chapel after the founders of what is now Valley Forge Christian College. The college was chartered in 1939 as Eastern Bible Institute, the successor organization to the summer Bible school at Maranatha campgrounds began by Rev. and Mrs. Flower in 1932. The success of the early endeavor revealed a need for a Bible School in the northeast. The Flowers were instrumental in establishing the foundation and the spirit of the school which became the legacy that lives today. 

Five of the Flowers six children served in full time ministry. The youngest son of the Flowers, David, former superintendent of the Southern New England Districts, was the special guest speaker. Rev. James Bradford, current General Secretary presented a gift of $50,000 on behalf of the Executive Presbytery of the Assemblies of God. It was fitting for Rev. Bradford to make the presentation as J. Roswell Flower held the distinction of being the first General Secretary of the Assemblies of God. 

The Flower Chapel has recently benefited from renovations and upgrades to the sound system, lighting infrastructure as well as the installation of state-of-the-art recording and broadcasting equipment. Additional renovations in the amount of $500,000 are still needed. Friends, churches, districts, and interested parties who have been touched by the ministry of the Flowers are invited to be part of honoring the founders through gifts to complete the Flower Chapel renovations. A special commemorative mug will be sent to all donors giving $100 or more.